According to Egyanka Abraham, the Christ’s Little Band was founded as a men’s organization by Rev. James Brodie Graham, Rev. S.R.B. Atto-Ahuma, Brothers Herbert Solomon and Major Plange, in 1885. Rev. Atto-Ahuma inaugurated the Band on Sunday 26th January, 1886 at Cape Coast and became the Band’s first president. The Rev. Egyir Asaam (later Lawyer Asaam) and William Stephen Forson, then in charge of the Methodist Book Depot, respectively succeeded Rev. Atto-Huma in 1886, when Rev. Atto-Ahuma left for overseas.
After thirty-three years, the first woman, Sister Mary Quansah joined the Band. Dr. James Kwegyir Aggrey was the first National Secretary in 1898.
It seemed as if the Band was formed in the basis of the secret society like the Freeman or the Odd Fellows, but with strong Christian emphasis. For, in those days, members used to lock themselves in chapels whenever they met. Furthermore, some of their rituals at funerals in a way resembled those of the Lodges.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
1. To evangelize and make the Gospel message applicable to the social needs and concerns of the people so as to ensure the salvation of human kind.
2. To help and comfort the sick and the bereaved. Band members have also become the custodian of Methodist Lyric (Ebibindwom) singing in Ghana.
In the 20th Century the Band gave to the formation of social clubs as the “Hope Society” and the “Honesty Society” by Christians, especially in the Akan speaking areas in Ghana. The Band borrowed its slogan from the old adage: “United we stand, divided we fall”.
Christ's Little Band